Budget Kruger Park Safari - 4 Days Ÿ Can be customised
The 4-day Budget Kruger Park Safari is easy on your budget, big on game viewing. This small group, fully-guided safari in Kruger National Park overnights inside the park with scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit. Custom departure dates may be arranged (additional cost applies). Book early to avoid disappointment!
* Budget Kruger Park Safari - 4 Days Highlights
- ∞Regular scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit
- ∞Easy on your budget
- ∞Open vehicle game drives in Kruger National Park
- ∞Big 5 game viewing in the best wildlife areas
- ∞Small groups (max 9)
- ∞Experienced safari guide
- ∞Air-conditioned, en-suite bungalow accommodation (no camping)
We depart around 07h00 from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg or any of the surrounding airport hotels.
A scenic 5-hour drive brings us to the entrance of the Kruger National Park. Here we change vehicles from our luxury air-conditioned minibus and continue the trip in an open safari vehicle, perfect for game viewing, which starts immediately on entering Kruger National Park.
We slowly make our way to the rest camp, looking for wildlife as we go. Some of the more common animals you can expect to see on the first afternoon include impala, kudu, waterbuck, warthog, zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, elephant, hippo, baboon, monkey and, hopefully, rhino and buffalo. We also hope to see lion and possibly an elusive leopard or cheetah.
We arrive at our camp by sunset and check in. We mostly use bungalows for accommodation, with en-suite bathroom and air conditioning.
Dinner may be prepared by your guide and might be a traditional South African braai (barbecue), weather permitting. Alternatively, we may use the camp restaurant or catering services.
Day 2 and 3:
We rise early so we can be on the road as the sun rises. This is the best time of day for game viewing as the animals are at their most active and we are on the lookout for nocturnal animals like spotted hyenas returning to their dens for the day.
On our drives, we may stop at waterholes, viewpoints or picnic sites, where you can get out and stretch your legs, and enjoy some refreshments.
Breakfast is usually a mid-morning feast, enjoyed at a picnic site or back at camp.
There is no fixed schedule to keep, but usually, we return to camp late morning so you can spend the noon hours lazing around the pool or watching animals from the deck. An afternoon siesta is also a popular option.
Lunch is for your own account and you can purchase a light meal from the takeaway deli at the camp. There is also a curio shop with basic supplies in the camp.
In the afternoon we embark on another exciting game drive.
As the day cools down, the animals become more active again and game viewing becomes easier. We look for the Big 5 and all the other animals, birds and interesting plants we may find.
The excitement of a game drive is that you never know what you will find and each one is different. Perhaps we saw giraffe yesterday, but today we may see them drinking, or fighting, or eating from a nasty thorn tree without injuring themselves!
Your guide will be able to interpret the behaviour of the animals and share interesting stories and facts about the bush, which makes every drive that much more interesting.
We return to camp around sunset and enjoy another delicious dinner around the fire or in the camp restaurant.
As an optional extra, you can book a night drive with us in advance on one of the evenings. This is conducted on an open game viewing vehicle by one of the Kruger Park rangers.
This morning we head out on a final early morning game drive. If we are lucky we may see wild dogs or another rare animal that we have not seen before.
After breakfast, it is time to pack up and start heading back toward the gate, where we swop over to our air-conditioned minibus for the drive back to Johannesburg. Alternatively, we can drop you off at Nelspruit or arrange your other onward travel plans from here.
We normally arrive back in Johannesburg between 5 - 6 pm, depending on the traffic.
- If you can spare the extra day, we'd strongly recommend this 4-day Budget Kruger Park Safari over the 3-day Quickie Kruger Park Safari. An extra day means you get two full days' game viewing, covering a bigger area of the park. The 3-day Quickie Safari only offers you one full day's game viewing, plus one afternoon drive on the first day and a morning game drive on the last day.
- Travelling time between OR Tambo International and Kruger is approx. 5-6 hours. Return or one-way flights can be arranged (costs apply)
- Please Book Early! Short notice availability on all our Kruger National Park safaris is very limited.
- Compare before you buy - cheaper is not always better. Avoid disappointment by first reading our informative Guide to Comparing Safaris (opens in a new window).
Quick links to other popular Kruger Park Safaris:
- ∞Return transfers from Johannesburg or Nelspruit
- ∞Kruger National Park entrance and conservation fees
- ∞Three nights' en-suite accommodation inside Kruger (no camping)
- ∞Breakfast and dinner daily
- ∞All game drives on open safari vehicle with expert guide
- ∞Limited refreshments, tea and coffee
- xFlights, visas and airport tax
- xPersonal travel insurance
- xLunches/meals not specified
- xOptional extras
- xPersonal expenses
- xGratuities (optional)
Scheduled Tour Departures
This trip departs and ends at Johannesburg on the following dates. If you know which dates suit you, go ahead and make a selection below. If none of these dates suit you, please do contact us to request a custom departure at an additional cost on the date of your choice, subject to availability.