The popular 5-Day Best of Kruger Safari is a 4-night/5-day safari in the Kruger National Park offering open vehicle game drives with an experienced safari guide. Includes a night drive and guided bush walk. Spend two nights each at two different camps, in different areas of Kruger Park, giving you the best game-viewing opportunities. Book early to avoid disappointment!
- Regular, scheduled departures from Johannesburg
- Stay in two different Kruger camps, experience different areas of the park
- En-suite, air-conditioned bungalows
- Open vehicle game drives
- Experienced, professional safari guide
- Best game viewing areas
- Includes a bush walk with an expert, armed guide
- Thrilling night drive with spotlights included
- Excellent value-for-money
- Minimum 2 people, maximum 9 people per vehicle.
The 5-Day Best of Kruger Safari departs from Johannesburg around 07h00, or from Nelspruit around 12h30 (same cost). Please see our scheduled departure dates at the bottom of this page. We drive through the scenic province of Mpumalanga to the entrance of the Kruger National Park. The transfer is conducted in a luxury air-conditioned minibus.
When we get near the Kruger National Park, we transfer to an open safari vehicle to continue our journey into Kruger Park. Our first game drive begins as we enter the gates and make our way to the first overnight camp.
We use some of the most popular camps in Kruger Park, situated in the best game viewing areas.
Dinner will be prepared by your guide and may take the form of a traditional South African braai (barbecue), weather permitting. Alternatively, we may use the camp restaurant or catering services.
Rise with the sun to enjoy your first full day of game viewing in the Kruger National Park.
On one of the mornings, there will be an opportunity to participate in a guided bush walk, led by an armed ranger from the Parks Board. This is not compulsory and is subject to availability as well as weather dependent.
On a bush walk, you will be able to appreciate the smaller wonders of the wild: tracks left by wild animals, interesting plants and how they can be used and, with some luck, you may be able to see some wild animals while on foot.
We return to camp for a well-earned brunch (late breakfast) and spend some time relaxing in camp.
You may watch animals from the viewing deck, take a siesta in your air-conditioned bungalow, cool down in the swimming pool, or browse through the curio shop.
In the afternoon, we head out on another game drive, looking for the Big 5 and other animals like giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and various antelope species.
We return to camp by sunset. Dinner is again enjoyed outside around the fire, or in the camp restaurant.
Today is devoted to game viewing, and this is also the day that we pack up and make our way to another camp, in a different area of Kruger Park (subject to accommodation availability).
This gives you the opportunity to experience a variety of habitats and vegetation types, which usually means slightly different game-viewing opportunities.
Similar to days 2 and 3 in that our time is spent game viewing. The best time to do this is in the early morning and late afternoon, when the sun is not too hot and the animals are more active.
Along the way, we visit waterholes, viewpoints and beautiful picnic sites, where we can stretch our legs (during game drives, we are not permitted to alight from the vehicle except in designated areas).
On one of the evenings, a sunset drive or night drive with spotlights is included. This is conducted either at sunset or late at night, by one of the Kruger Park's rangers on an open truck, using powerful spotlights to try and find some of the more elusive nocturnal animals.
Our last day in the bush and time for a final early morning game drive in search of any animals that may have eluded us thus far.
After brunch, we make our way toward the exit gate, where we swap back to a luxury air-conditioned vehicle for the transfer back to Johannesburg or Nelspruit or connect with your onward travel plans.
Normally, we arrive back in Johannesburg between 17h00 and 18h00, give or take an hour (depending on traffic).
- This 5-Day Best of Kruger safari really does offer you the "Best" of Kruger. Experience two different rest camps in different vegetation zones, three full days' worth of game drives in open safari vehicles with an expert guide, an exciting night drive with spotlights, and a guided bushwalk - one of the best ways to experience the thrill of the African bush: its sights, smells, sounds and abundant fauna and flora.
- The road trip from OR Tambo to Kruger Gate is included and takes approx. 5-6 hours. One-way or return flights can be arranged to avoid the road transfer (at extra cost).
- Check out our list of scheduled departures below. Click on any departure date to enquire about that date.
- Please book early! Short notice availability on all our Kruger National Park safaris is very limited.
- Guaranteed departures, minimum 2 people, maximum 9 per vehicle. Bigger groups will be split over multiple vehicles.
- Compare before you buy. Avoid disappointment by first reading our informative guide to Comparing Safaris.
Quick links to other popular Kruger Park Safaris:
|Period||Price per person (pp)|
|November 1, 2022 - October 31, 2023 per person sharing||
|November 1, 2023 - October 31, 2024 per person sharing||
The rate is per person sharing. A 25% single supplement applies.
Children age 8 - 11 years pay 60% of the adult rate.
Families travelling with children under 8 should please contact us to discuss safari options.
All rates on our website are provided to give a price estimate only and should not be seen as a firm quote. Likewise, our currency converter will give you a rough idea of the price in another currency, but should not be seen as a firm quote. It is only intended as a guideline, based on the daily interbank exchange rate. Please contact us to receive an accurate, free quote with no obligation.
- Return road transfers from OR Tambo International Airport (or surrounding hotels) in air-conditioned mini-bus
- Kruger Park entrance and daily conservation fees
- 4 nights' accommodation inside the Kruger Park in standard en-suite bungalows with air-conditioning
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Limited refreshments, tea and coffee
- All game drives on open safari vehicle with an expert guide
- One sunset drive or night drive with one of the Kruger Park's rangers
- A guided bush walk (subject to availability, max 8 per walk)
- Flights, visas and airport tax
- Personal travel insurance
- Lunches/meals not specified
- Optional extras
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
This trip departs and ends at Johannesburg on the following dates. If you know which dates suit you, go ahead and make a selection below. If none of these dates suit you, please do contact us to request a custom departure at an additional cost on the date of your choice, subject to availability.
You may also want to look at
Our popular 3-day Kruger Park safari is designed for those who want a quick and affordable way to see the Kruger National Park in the company of an expert guide, but are really short on time. This 3-day Kruger Park safari is sometimes called our Kruger Quick Safari. We offer regular scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit. Custom departure dates and private departures can be arranged on request. Book early to avoid disappointment!
The 4-day Budget Kruger Park Safari is easy on your budget and big on game viewing. This small group, fully-guided safari in Kruger National Park overnights inside the park with scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit. Custom departure dates may be arranged (additional cost applies). Book early to avoid disappointment!