Combine these three top travel destinations in Southern Africa on this popular 12-day trip idea: Victoria Falls, Cape Town and the Kruger National Park. You can swap the order of destinations around, change the duration and choose accommodation according to your budget and wish list. Cape Town is regularly voted one of the best destinations in the world, Victoria Falls is one of the world's most breathtaking natural wonders and Kruger Park is the top safari destination in South Africa.
- 3 nights at Victoria Falls
- 4 nights in Cape Town
- 4 nights on safari in Kruger Park
- Flexible itinerary
- Choice of accommodation options to suit your budget
- See Southern Africa's top 3 destinations in one unforgettable trip
Days 1 to 4
Depart from Johannesburg in the morning for your flight to Victoria Falls (Zambian side or Zimbabwean side). Both sides are safe to visit, but the views of the falls are sometimes better on the Zimbabwean side, especially during low water season.
The flight takes two hours each way. Spend three nights exploring the Victoria Falls area. Optional activities (at an additional cost) in the area include the following:
- Guided tour of Victoria Falls
- Zambezi River sunset cruise
- Canoeing on the upper Zambezi
- Whitewater rafting on the lower Zambezi
- Scenic microlight or helicopter flight over the falls
- Game drive in the Zambezi National Park
- Day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana
- High wire and zip line (flying fox)
- Giant gorge swing or bungee jumping
- Craft markets and local museum
- And lots more ...
Days 4 to 7
Fly back to Johannesburg and connect with a flight to Cape Town on the same afternoon. It is also possible to fly direct. Arrive in the evening; it is a two-hour flight from Vic Falls to Johannesburg and another two-hour flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town.
We will arrange for a transfer to your hotel in Cape Town. The next morning, we can have a rental car delivered to your hotel if you wish to explore Cape Town on your own. Alternatively, you can book a selection of guided day tours and activities which will depart from your hotel.
Spend three nights at a luxury hotel in Cape Town on a Bed and Breakfast basis. Dinner can be enjoyed in the hotel restaurant or at any of the many great restaurants in Sea Point, Cape Town central or at the V&A Waterfront.
Possible day tours and activities include the following (many of them can be done on a privately guided basis, or as scheduled bus tours, or on your own, using a rental car) :
- Scenic day tour of the Cape Peninsula to Cape Point, where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. This lovely outing includes opportunities to see seals at Hout Bay, penguins at Boulders Beach, baboons at Cape Point, and of course the spectacular coastline and scenery of the peninsula.
- Visit the top of Table Mountain by cableway, for the most spectacular views in Africa.
- Ferry trip to Robben Island, for a guided tour of the prison (now a museum) where Nelson Mandela was held captive as a political prisoner.
- Day tour of the scenic Cape Winelands, including wine tasting and cellar tours at some of South Africa's top wine estates.
- Whale watching in Hermanus, an hour east of Cape Town.
- Shark cage diving
- Guided township tour and cultural experience
- Shopping, fine dining and entertainment at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, South Africa's most visited destination.
- And lots more
Days 8 to 12
Fly from Cape Town to Nelspruit on the morning of Day 8, to start your safari in the Kruger National Park. Our guide will collect you from the airport and transfer you to the Kruger National Park. If the budget is tight, it is also possible to fly to Johannesburg on the evening of Day 7 for an overnight stay at an airport hotel, ready to set off on safari early the next morning.
Enjoy four to five days on safari in South Africa's greatest game reserve, where the Big Five roam free. One option is to join a guided Kruger Park open vehicle safari with us, based at one of the national park camps, using comfortable bungalow accommodation. These are affordable, scheduled, small group safaris with a maximum of 9 people on board.
Another option is to spend your safari at a luxury private game lodge in the Greater Kruger Park. The private game lodges inside Kruger Park and in the surrounding private game reserves offer a fantastic luxury safari experience, with all meals and open vehicle game drives included in the cost. Guided bush walks are also possible.
The choice of accommodation will depend on your budget, interests and availability for your required dates. Prices at private safari lodges vary greatly, depending on the location and level of luxury. You can also consider what we call a Combo Safari - combine an affordable, two-night guided Kruger Park safari with two nights at a private safari lodge in one of the adjacent private reserves like the Sabi Sand or Timbavati Game Reserve.
On the final day, return to Johannesburg International Airport by road transfer or by plane (5 hours by road or a 1-hour flight). If you travel by road transfer, you can expect to be in Johannesburg by 17h00 or 18h00 on Day 12.
Customise this trip idea
This is a travel idea, not a fixed itinerary. You can spend an extra night at any of the destinations suggested, and you can easily drop or add destinations to this itinerary. If you swap the order of these destinations around, you will possibly have to spend at least one stop-over night in Johannesburg.
The cost can vary considerably, depending on the choice of accommodation and date of travel. Safari lodges in greater Kruger private game reserves, for example, range in price from below 400 US$ per person per night to more than 2,000 US$ per person per night at the top luxury lodges. The budget estimate below is based on hand-picked accommodation and excludes local flights between destinations.
|Period||Price per person (pp)|
|2022 Estimate based on budget-friendly accommodation||
|2022 Estimate based on mid-range accommodation||
|2022 Estimate based on luxury accommodation||
|2023 Estimate based on budget-friendly accommodation||
|2023 Estimate based on mid-range accommodation||
|2023 Estimate based on luxury accommodation||
This above estimate is intended as a guideline only. Your final quoted rate will depend on dates of travel, choice of lodge or hotel, room type and exchange rate fluctuations. Please let us know your preferences and we'll be glad to provide you with a detailed and transparent quote.
All rates on our website are provided to give a price estimate only and should not be seen as a firm quote. Likewise, our currency converter will give you a rough idea of the price in another currency, but should not be seen as a firm quote. It is only intended as a guideline, based on the daily interbank exchange rate. Please contact us to receive an accurate, free quote with no obligation.
- 11 nights accommodation
- Breakfast daily
- All airport transfers
- Kruger Park entrance fees and daily conservation fees
- Guided game drives on open safari vehicles
- Breakfast and dinner on safari in Kruger
- International flights and visas
- Local flights between destinations
- Meals not specified
- All drinks
- Park fees at Victoria Falls and in Cape Town
- Optional extras such as day tours and activities at Victoria Falls and in Cape Town
- Car rental (optional mode of transport for Cape Town leg)
You may also want to look at
The popular 5-Day Best of Kruger Safari is a 4-night/5-day safari in the Kruger National Park offering open vehicle game drives with an experienced safari guide. Includes a night drive and guided bush walk. Spend two nights at each of two different camps, in different areas of Kruger Park, giving you the best game viewing opportunities. Book early to avoid disappointment!
A guided safari in Kruger Park (using the national park camps) is quite different to a safari at a private game lodge. Both have their advantages. This trip idea combines two nights in Kruger, followed by two nights at a private game lodge for you to experience the best of both worlds. All game drives in open vehicles with expert and knowledgeable guides.