How far is the Kruger National Park from Cape Town/Johannesburg?
The Kruger National Park is in the north-eastern corner of South Africa, along with the border of Mozambique. Please see our Africa map page to orientate yourself and get to know the region.
The park is an easy five-hour drive or a one-hour flight from Johannesburg. From Cape Town, it is best to fly to Johannesburg or to Nelspruit, the closest city (Nelspruit Airport/Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport). Cape Town to Nelspruit is a three-hour flight, and from Nelspruit, it is another hour by road to the Kruger National Park. It is also possible to fly directly to Skukuza, inside the Kruger National Park, from Johannesburg or Cape Town
Some other distances:
- Cape Town to Johannesburg is a two-hour flight or 12 hours by road
- Johannesburg to Durban is a one-hour flight or six hours by road
- Cape Town to Port Elizabeth via the Garden Route is a 90-minute flight or eight hours by road
- Johannesburg to George (Garden Route) is just less than a two-hour flight.
- Johannesburg to Victoria Falls is a two-hour flight