South Africa is a fairly large country – 1 219 912km² or 471 011 square miles, to be precise. It is the 25th biggest country in the world, five times larger than Great Britain and three times the size of Texas.
To give you a better idea, here are some of the approximate distances and travelling times between some popular destinations – by road, travelling time and by air (if possible).
Approximate distances and travel times
From To Distance Drive time Flight time
- Johannesburg Cape Town 1 405 km 13 hours 2 hours
- Johannesburg Kruger National Park (Skukuza) 450 km 5.5 hours 3/4 hour
- Johannesburg Madikwe (North West) 350 km 4.5 hours 3/4 hour
- Johannesburg George (Garden Route) 1 170 km 11 hours 1.8 hours
- Cape Town Port Elizabeth 750 km 7.7 hours 1.5 hours
- Johannesburg Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) 1 320 km 17.5 hours 1.5 hours
- Johannesburg Durban (KZN) 570km 5.5 hours 1 hour
Please let us know which safari destinations you're interested in and we'll gladly assist you with the best ways to get there. We also arrange car hire and road transfers and can advise on the best flights, where to book, and so on.