Phinda Mountain Lodge, Northern KwaZulu-Natal Safari Lodge
With its prime position on the crest of a mountain, Phinda Mountain Lodge is known for its incredible views out over the scenic and game-rich Phinda Private Reserve in KwaZulu-Natal in north-eastern South Africa. Enjoy 24/7 game watching from the main lodge's viewing decks or your very own private veranda. Plus there's a variety of game activities to make sure you have an unforgettable safari experience.
* Phinda Mountain Lodge Highlights
- ∞Game-rich, Big 5 Phinda Private Game Reserve
- ∞Close to iSimangaliso Greater Wetlands (formerly St Lucia Wetlands), a World Heritage Site
- ∞Excellent chance to see cheetah, lion and leopard
- ∞Home to both white and black rhino
- ∞Renowned for its spectacular, uninterrupted views
- ∞Various game activities to choose from
- ∞25 Carefully-positioned, private and luxurious suites
- ∞Child and family friendly, although no children under 6 permitted on game drives
- ∞Perfect for a bush & beach combo safari experience
More about this accommodation
Phinda Mountain Lodge is one of those perfect places that you're certain to enjoy, whether you're on honeymoon, having a family get together or just trying to get away from it all. With Big 5 game viewing, excellent opportunity to see the big cats and endangered rhino, Phinda has diverse and breathtaking scenery, a variety and abundance of game and a host of nearby activities to ensure you have an unforgettable safari adventure.
Phinda Mountain Lodge is luxuriant and beautiful. Each of the 25 elegant suites has been thoughtfully positioned to ensure your complete privacy: air conditioned with an outdoor shower and plunge pool and spectacular, uninterrupted views from your own private deck.
Superb Main Area
The guest area is a stunning U-shaped building set around a central open-air courtyard, perfect for relaxing between game drives. The lodge has been specially planned to give the best possible views from every angle, so you're able to virtually game view around the clock from almost anywhere - the guest areas as well as your suite's private viewing deck. Meals are simple and delicious, served al fresco on the veranda or in the dining room if weather is inclement. Or, you may enjoy an unexpected treat and be served your meal in a surprise location.
Great Game Viewing
Phinda is well-known for its excellent cheetah and other big cat sightings. Home to the Big 5, its diverse habitats attract a wealth of wildlife from endangered rhino to the smallest, shyest antelope species. Each day at Phinda brings a unique game viewing experience.
Various Nearby Activities Include:
Mzinene River Boat Cruise, excellent for birding (no additional charge)
Offered At An Additional Cost:
- Maputaland Beach Adventure - sun soaking, swimming and snorkelling
- Indian Ocean Scuba Safari at Sodwana Bay - one of the world's top 10 dive sites
- Black Rhino tracking on foot - with an expert ranger and tracker
- Turtle Nesting Adventure (November to February only)
- Swimming with Whale Sharks - accompanied by skipper and certified dive-master
- Zulu Village Tour - invited to an authentic Zulu homestead
The staff at &Beyond Phinda Mountain Lodge are very involved with local conservation and community projects. For example, they are working with a nearby community school to help establish worm farms and an organic garden to provide a sustainable source of nutritious vegetables for the school children. Ultimately, the goal is for the school to produce enough veggies to sell to the lodge. This will provide ongoing income for the school which, in turn, will help provide better education and facilities to the students. Some of the other projects include: land restitution, leopard monitoring projects, ranger training schools and academic upliftment.
By air: Direct scheduled flights connect from OR Tambo International, Johannesburg to Phinda on certain days of the week. Daily flights also connect from Johannesburg to Durban and Richards Bay Airports. A light aircraft shuttle service is also available between Richards Bay and Phinda.
By road: From Johanneburg, it’s about a 6½-hour drive, from Durban - a 3-hour drive and from Richards Bay - a 2-hour drive to Phinda. Road transfers can be arranged.
Our Take on Phinda Mountain Lodge
Looking out over this unhurried, uncrowded private game reserve, Phinda Mountain Lodge gets consistently great reviews from its guests. The guides are superb, the food is excellent, the staff are very warm and welcoming and the accommodation is world class. You'll be assured of an excellent safari experience - one that's easy to combine with a nearby beach resort for the best of both worlds.
- ∞Luxurious accommodation and all meals, teas and coffees
- ∞Refreshments on game drives
- ∞Safari activities
- ∞Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
- ∞Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- ∞Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- xChampagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits, beers and cigars
- xTelephone calls
- xAdventures at Phinda
- xGovernment bed levy, conservancy and/or park fees
- xLanding fees
- xSafari shop purchases
- xGratuities and all items of a personal nature
ø Enjoy the Romance of Phinda - for less!
25% off stays of 3 nights or longer: 15 Apr-30 Jun 2018 only
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.