Set just 12 km from the entrance to Ngorongoro and with easy access to the spectacular scenery and abundant wildlife of Ngorongoro Crater, Plantation Lodge is the perfect spot to lay your head. With a range of different rooms set in a tranquil garden on a coffee plantation, it's hard not to relax here. Go game viewing in Ngorongoro, meet the local people, go for walks both in and around the Ngorongoro Conservation Area; the options are endless.
- Less than 20 km from the Ngorongoro Conservation Area with easy access to this natural wildlife wonder
- Spectacular game viewing in the world-renowned Ngorongoro Crater
- A range of nature walks to suit all fitness levels both in Ngorongoro and around the lodge
- Beautiful, peaceful gardens in which to relax and watch birds
- The opportunity to meet and learn the culture and traditions of the locals
- On-site spa for a little post-safari pampering
- Swimming pool with a view the perfect for sundowners
- Range of room types, including a family suite
Plantation Lodge has 25 rooms set amongst their lush gardens, each one different. There are 15 standard rooms, seven suites, one family unit and one family suite, each with an en-suite bathroom, veranda or terrace from which to view the gardens, mosquito nets and wood-burning stove or fireplace.
Rooms are connected to the main house by stone paths and are either detached or next to each other in small groups. Standard rooms have double or twin beds and en-suite bathroom.
The suites come in different shapes and sizes, some double, some twin. If you're honeymooning, check out the Jacaranda Suite which is set apart and ensures complete privacy.
The family unit has two bedrooms separated by a hallway and bathroom. The family suite is a free-standing house with two en-suite bedrooms and a living room with fireplace and veranda.
For bigger groups, Plantation Lodge has the Garden House, a two-storey house with four double bedrooms, a lounge with fireplace and a spacious dining room with a table perfect for discussing the highlights of a day spent in the African bush.
Main house area
Colonial-style, the main house is spacious, bright and airy and houses the lounge, dining rooms and bar. Each dining room has a fireplace and can seat around 25 guests which allows you to eat together if you're a big group or more privately, if not.
Meals are freshly prepared with produce from the garden and other locally-produced goods and are served in the cosy dining room or out in the beautiful gardens.
The bar with its wooden deck is perfect for sundowners and serves up a range of cocktails and drinks. The bar has an impressive wine cellar filled with treasures from the best wine producing regions of the world. Here, you won't go thirsty!
Game viewing activities
The most renowned game viewing is done in nearby Ngorongoro Crater, where an estimated 25,000 large plain animals reside in the relatively small 260 km² of the caldera's bowl. A day trip to the crater will almost certainly reward you with sightings of the Big Five, including the endangered black rhino, a wide variety of antelope, monkey, hippo, crocodile, zebra and more!
Vehicles are only allowed into the crater during the day so an early start is recommended. A number of walks are also offered, both within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area with a guide and in the Karatu area. From gentle half-hour strolls to multi-day trekking, there is something to suit all fitness levels.
If you want to simply sit quietly on your veranda and relax, or amble through the gardens, Plantation Lodge will present you with a vast array of birdlife.
Things to do
- Visit nearby Ngorongoro Crater with its teeming wildlife
- Spectacular walks both in and out of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Mountain biking
- Guided treks in the area, duration and difficulty to suit all fitness levels
- Visits to local villages to learn about the customs and culture of the people
- Walk around the coffee plantation and discover the origins of Tanzania's famous coffee
- Enjoy some pampering by a beauty therapist
- Lie next to the pool reading a book, soaking up the sun and enjoying the view
By car - Karatu is about 150 km from Arusha by road. The trip generally takes between two and three hours and longer if you're coming from Kilimanjaro Airport.
By air - There are daily flights from Arusha to Lake Manyara Airstrip which is a 20-minute drive from Plantation Lodge. Arusha has two airports; domestic Arusha Airport and Kilimanjaro International Airport with daily flights from local, African and international airlines.
Our take on Plantation Lodge
With its variety of rooms, all set in the most beautiful gardens, Plantation Lodge is a place to kick back and enjoy. Friendly staff and its proximity to both Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater make it a blissfully tranquil safari base or place for a break on a busy safari schedule.
- Accommodation and all meals
- House wine, beer, soft drinks, water, coffee and tea
- Laundry service
- Service charge & VAT
- Government bed levy
- Premium brand drinks and champagne
- Items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Ngorongoro Crater is a Tanzanian must-see. Situated within the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, a vast park of spectacular beauty, this caldera or collapsed volcano has created a mini game reserve with many habitats in a very small area. This provides a home to an incredibly diverse range of birds and animals including the Big Five in a concentrated space.
Experience the vast expanses of true wilderness and perhaps some of the best game viewing areas on the African continent. The 7-Day Taste of Tanzania Safari takes in the untamed Tarangire, the world-renowned Serengeti (famous for the Great Migration) and Ngorongoro National Park. Accompanied by some of the country’s best guides, your safety and comfort will be in excellent hands, leaving you to enjoy the safari of a lifetime at the best possible price.