Just 5 minutes away from Kruger’s Skukuza Airport, Lion Sands Tinga Lodge is located on the banks of the scenic Sabie River, in an area offering an incredible variety and diversity of wildlife. Exclusive and luxurious, Tinga offers you the unique opportunity of offroad safaris to get the best game viewing possible.
- Private concession within Big 5 game-rich area in Kruger National Park
- The highest population of black rhino in South Africa
- Open vehicle safaris with a maximum of 6 per vehicle, with offroad permission
- Guided bush walks
- 5,000 hectare (12,500 acres) private traversing area as well as within Kruger Park itself
- Only private reserve with access to both Sabie and Sand Rivers
- Only 9 private and exclusive Luxury Suites overlooking the Sabie River
- Free WiFi in public areas
- Full spa treatments with private in-room options available
Not weather dependent, nor with any migrations to follow, Tinga is a year-round safari destination – although the dry winter months (June to October) usually offer the best game viewing opportunities. For birders, the best time to visit is from October to April when the birdlife is most prolific.
Exclusive, private safari comfort
Tinga has only nine nostalgic, air-conditioned Luxury Suites (maximum of 22 guests), each located in a secluded, private spot overlooking the river. Every suite is en-suite with an indoor and outdoor shower, separate lounge area with minibar and its own private plunge pool and viewing deck. Children over 10 are welcome at the lodge.
For families or small groups, there is the exclusive-use, stand-alone Hi’Nkweni Villa. Hidden in the bush, it is spacious and secluded and comes with its own hospitality team, field guide and game viewer.
Luxurious main camp
The main camp is spacious with double volume rooms opening onto a wooden viewing deck with a public swimming pool. There's a roaring fire in winter months to keep you warm. The chefs are superb and the food is great – they will gladly cater to your dietary preferences.
Varied game viewing activities
There's always plenty to keep you busy at Tinga: morning and afternoon/evening game drives in open safari vehicles (which are permitted offroad to get really close to excellent game sightings), guided bushwalks, birdwatching, astronomy, bush breakfasts, bush dinners, river walks, hippo tours, safari lunches, wildlife lectures, boma dinners, wellness treatments, local village experiences. Just let the staff know your preferences and they'll do their utmost to grant your every wish.
By air - There are daily scheduled flights between Cape Town/Johannesburg and Skukuza Airport. Private charters are also available directly into Lion Sands Private Game Reserve.
By road - It’s an easy 5-hour drive from Johannesburg. Road transfers can easily be arranged.
Our take on Lion Sands Tinga Lodge
As part of the MORE Group, you can expect top-notch service, comfort, food and hospitality at any of their lodges and Tinga is no exception.
- Luxury accommodation on a full board basis
- Teas, coffees, soft drinks, local brand beers, spirits and house wines
- Two game drives daily with FGASA qualified ranger and tracker
- Game drive refreshments and snacks
- Specified inclusive safari activities
- Transfers to Skukuza Airport
- Minibar in the room
- Premium brand beers, spirits, cellar wines and champagnes
- Cigars and cigarettes
- All flights and transfers
- Telephone calls
- Curio shop purchases
- Spa treatments
- Sabi Sand Reserve/ Kruger National Park entrance fees
- Sabi Sands guest conservation contribution fee
- Any items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Our 15-Day Southern Africa Signature Safari is what we consider to be an ideal safari itinerary on a mid-range budget to see the best of Southern Africa within a limited time frame. Take in some of Southern Africa's top destinations – the spectacular Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe; Chobe National Park in Botswana; picturesque Cape Town and the Garden Route; the Kruger National Park and the famous Sabi Sand Game Reserve in South Africa.
Luxurious Narina Lodge in Lion Sands Reserve, has a prime location in the Kruger National Park, with access to both the Sabie and Sand Rivers. This makes for an abundance and diversity of game viewing guaranteed to give you a superb safari experience. Various activities include offroad, open-vehicle safaris and guided bushwalks.