Sossusvlei Desert Lodge lies in the heart of Namibia’s ancient Namib Desert, where it offers guests serene silence and romantic luxury in an extraordinary, dramatic landscape. It’s a place of endless space, broad horizons and some of the most fascinating desert-adapted creatures on the planet.
- Experience vast open spaces, endless horizons, complete stillness and exceptional light clarity
- Enjoy one of Africa’s most dramatic landscapes
- Scenic drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles on the NamibRand Nature Reserve
- Guided nature walks and quad bike excursions
- Breakfast trips to Sossusvlei dunes
- Child-friendly lodge with especially designed WILDchild activity programme
- Stargaze at the lodge’s observatory with the resident astronomer
- With only 10 suites, you're ensured a personal and exclusive desert experience
This lodge will be closed from January 2019 to October 2019 for a complete refurbishment.
&Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge lies in the far northern corner of the vast NamibRand Nature Reserve (over 440 000 acres), between the endless dunes of the Namib Desert and the surrounding jagged mountains. The area offers a variety of desert habitats so you can see the fascinating plants and animals that are especially adapted to survive in this harsh environment.
The lodge offers 10 luxurious and spacious suites made from stone with glass walls giving you sweeping views of the desert surrounds. Each suite has a full bathroom with indoor and outdoor showers, air conditioning and even your own telescope, with a comfortable lounge area and sliding doors that open out onto a terrace. A skylight above the beds lets in the daylight and allows you to stargaze at night.
Sossusvlei Desert Lodge has an upstairs lounge and terrace with superb views over the desert. It’s from here you’ll be stargazing with the resident astronomer with a computerised telescope. The next level down houses the à la carte restaurant and bar and below that is an impressive wine cellar where you can enjoy intimate dinners. There’s also a small library, a safari shop, satellite television and a circular swimming pool which has wonderful views over the waterhole and the game coming to drink.
There’s a range of activities on offer for you to choose:
- Early morning trips to Sossusvlei dunes with breakfast included
- Guided nature walks
- Scenic game drives in open safari vehicles
- Quad biking for over 16s with a ranger
- Hiking trips to nearby mountains
- Hot-air ballooning over Sossusvlei at dawn (additional cost)
Desert-adapted wildlife that you’re most likely to see include the iconic gemsbok (oryx), which can be seen in herds of up to 30 strong, Hartmann’s mountain zebra, springbok, ostrich, aardwolf, bat-eared fox, Cape fox, caracal and jackal.
As part of the &Beyond group, there are many small and large ways in which the lodge contributes to putting meaningful values into action every day. The lodge uses vigorous renewable energy, recycling, water and waste management practices. Invasive vegetation has been removed and recycled into eco-friendly burning blocks for fires.
They also sponsor environmental education courses for children from rural schools all over Namibia. A child feeding scheme helps provide basic nutrition for the poverty-stricken children of the nearby community and school fees are sponsored for the neediest. Resident naturalists and lodge guides constantly observe, document and monitor wildlife and plants to conserve and protect this fragile ecosystem. Please ask the lodge staff for more details on the various projects and how you can assist or get involved.
By road: about a five-hour drive from Windhoek, via Rehoboth.
By air: there is a local airstrip from where you’ll be transported to the lodge.
Our Take on Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
As you’d expect with any &Beyond lodge, you’ll be met with genuinely friendly, welcoming staff who will go out of their way to make sure every detail of your safari is unforgettable in every way. It is a premium-priced lodge, but well worth it if you can spare the expense – particularly for special occasions and honeymoons.
- Accommodation and three meals daily
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers, teas and coffees
- Safari activities and refreshments on game drives
- Guided nature walks and quad bike excursions in the NamibRand Reserve (subject to availability)
- One excursion to Sossusvlei
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Laundry & VAT
- Champagne, cognac, cellar wines, premium-brand spirits and cigars
- Telephone calls
- Safari shop purchases
- Items of a personal nature
- Government bed levy and landing fees
You may also want to look at
Sossusvlei epitomises the exquisite desert experience of Namibia, with its endless sea of dunes. The blazing ochre Sossusvlei dunes rise up to over 320m tall, making them some of the world's highest sand forms. These forever-shifting dunes are constantly reshaped by the wind into the sandy valleys, slopes and peaks that form the ancient Namib desert. The reds, oranges, yellows and caramel browns of the soft dunes, and the bleached whites and washed-out pastel shades of the pans, are continuously transformed as the seasons turn and the light plays on the desert landscapes, making them glow at dusk and dawn.
Take in many of the Top Namibian Attractions in this vast and fascinating country – the burnt-red dunes of Sossusvlei, the desolate Skeleton Coast, the quaint quasi-Bavarian seaside town of Swakopmund and the startling geographical features of Damaraland. Search for the desert-adapted elephants and lions and explore Etosha National Park with its ancient salt pan – all in the company of your own highly experienced personal guide.