andBeyond Phinda Vlei Lodge is an intimate, romantic and exclusive safari lodge, offering you privacy, peace and quiet. The lodge is set on the edge of a sand forest, overlooking a wetland system; you can watch the daily goings on of a huge variety of visiting wildlife from wherever you are at the lodge: the viewing decks, your bedroom or even your shower.
- A wealth of habitats attracts an incredible variety and abundance of wildlife
- Big 5 reserve, famous for its regular cheetah sightings
- Healthy populations of both black and white rhino (highly endangered)
- Easy access to Eastern seaboard makes for ideal bush & beach safari
- Close to iSimangaliso Wetlands (formerly Greater St Lucia Wetlands) World Heritage Site
- Excellent privacy and seclusion – with only six luxury suites
- Each suite has own private deck, outside shower and plunge pool
No matter where you are at Phinda Vlei Lodge, the chance to game view is never far away. Your suite, bathroom, private deck and all guest areas are perfectly placed to give you the best possible views over the surrounding meadows and water hole where a variety of animals come to visit day and night.
Secluded, Luxury Suites
Every suite offers panoramic views from your bedroom, bathroom, patio and shower. Each suite is secluded and offers privacy. It’s said that at Vlei Lodge, you’re likely to see far more animals than people – usually without having to even go on a game drive!
Superb Game Viewing
Game drives are done in open safari vehicles and the guides are in constant radio contact with the rangers from the other lodges, which raise your chances of getting outstanding sightings considerably. In the northern reaches of Phinda, you’re also more likely to see the shyer forest-dwelling animals like the tiny Suni antelope and the elusive red duiker.
Variety of Activities
Mzinene River Boat Cruise, excellent for birding (no additional charge)
Additional Costs Apply:
- Maputaland Beach Adventure - sun soaking, swimming and snorkelling
- Indian Ocean Scuba Safari at Sodwana Bay - one of the world's top 10 dive sites
- Black Rhino tracking on foot - with an expert ranger and tracker
- Turtle Nesting Adventure (November to February only)
- Swimming with Whale Sharks - accompanied by skipper and certified dive-master
- Zulu Village Tour - invited to an authentic Zulu homestead
The staff at &Beyond Phinda Forest Lodge are very involved with local conservation and community projects. From leopard and rhino protection programmes to education and training to creating organic village gardens with worm farms, for the locals to earn a living selling the veggies back to the lodges. Ask how you can get involved in any of their worthwhile projects.
By air: Phinda has a good quality tar airstrip and flying in is an easy option (there are virtually daily flights from Johannesburg, Durban and Richards Bay). A light aircraft service operates between Richards Bay and Phinda.
By road: From Johannesburg - approx. 6½ hours; from Durban – 3 hours and from Richards Bay – 2 hours. Road transfers are available.
Our Take on Phinda Vlei Lodge
An exceptional, intimate safari lodge, perfect if you’re looking for absolute peace and tranquillity. It’s very well located, overlooking an active waterhole/wetlands area so you can literally do your game watching from the privacy of your own bedroom – or bathroom. And, of course, all the famous andBeyond hospitality, service and expert guides at your service.
- Accommodation and all meals, teas and coffees
- Refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits, beers and cigars
- Telephone calls
- Adventures at Phinda
- Government bed levy, conservancy and/or park fees
- Landing fees
- Safari shop purchases
- Gratuities and all items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Ngala Tented Camp is a luxurious tented safari camp, with just six spacious tents featuring wooden decks. The chic and modern camp fuses effortlessly with the surrounding bush. Ngala is situated inside the Timbavati Game Reserve, sharing unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park, offering superb game viewing opportunities.
Almost like a small-scale exotic castle, Phinda Rock Lodge seems to cling to its steep cliffs, giving you excellent views across the valley. It’s a small, intimate lodge, ideal if you’re looking for a romantic, unhurried safari with excellent game viewing.
A unique safari itinerary taking in the highlights of a South Africa's exciting Kwazulu-Natal Province: spectacular scenery, the fascinating history of the British/Zulu/Boer wars, unforgettable Big 5 safaris at Phinda Game Reserve and ending at a pristine beach lodge with endless beaches, warm waters, incredible snorkelling and scuba diving as well as cultural visits to the local tribal villages. Scenery, history, culture, wildlife, sunny beaches - this trip has it all in spades.