Recently rebuilt after fire damage, this luxurious, sole-use safari villa is perfect for families, corporates and small groups who wish to spend some quality time away from it all and enjoy each other’s uninterrupted company. You’ll be spoilt with your own dedicated ranger/host, tracker, butler and chef. You’ll also have a private open safari vehicle at your disposal to enjoy looking for the Big 5 and a wide variety of birds and wildlife.
- Private-use luxury safari villa, perfect for family and friends
- Private game drives with your own ranger and tracker in open 4WD vehicles
- Home to Big 5 and a wide variety of wildlife and birds
- Go-as-you-please daily itineraries
- 7 distinct habitats provide incredibly diverse scenery, fauna and flora
- Good chance to see cheetah, black rhino and Nyala
- Variety of adventure activities nearby
- 23 000 hectares (56 800 acres) private game reserve with a limited number of vehicles
- Named as Expensive Places Editor’s Choice luxury safari villa of summer 2014
Luxurious but also unpretentious and inviting, Phinda Homestead is an ideal venue within the Phinda Private Game Reserve to enjoy time away from it all with your family and friends.
Phinda Homestead is designed to give small groups of families and friends an ideal space to reconnect. There are only four bedrooms, accommodating a maximum of eight people. The villa is spacious and airy; there are generous courtyards and living areas that open up to the surrounding bushveld. Large windows flood the house with light and all beds are positioned to give you a great view from the moment you wake.
The roomy viewing decks give you uninterrupted views over your surrounds. There’s an inviting pool surrounded by comfy loungers. There’s also a small, well-equipped gym – with views, of course. And meals you can enjoy in the dining area or under the stars, lit by romantic lanterns in your own private outdoor boma.
At Phinda Homestead, you’ll have your own ranger and host, a dedicated tracker who’ll accompany your party on game drives; your own chef who’ll prepare delicious meals and a butler to take care of your every need.
Excellent Game Viewing
With your own dedicated vehicle, guide and tracker, you can set off for game drives as and when you want to. Phinda Game Reserve offers all the Big 5 and you’ll have a good chance of spotting cheetah, lion and leopard, as well as the black and white rhino. There are also majestic nyala antelope in abundance. In the northern reaches of the park, you may be lucky enough to see some very rare species like the shy red duiker and the tiny Suni. The chef can also prepare you a picnic lunch if you want to make a day of it.
Variety of Activities
Some nearby activities include:
- Mzinene River Boat Cruises
- A Night Under the Skies
- Maputaland Beach Adventure
- Indian Ocean Scuba Safari
- Black Rhino Tracking on Foot
- Turtle Nesting Adventure (Seasonal – between November - February)
- Endangered Wild Cats Project
- Swimming with Whale Sharks
Phinda enjoys a subtropical climate. Summers are traditionally hot, wet and humid and last from September to April with day temperatures sometimes soaring above 35° C (95° F). Winters are mild and dry winters, rarely below 10° C (50° F), even at night. Game viewing is traditionally best from March until the end of September.
By air: Definitely the easiest way to get there. Direct scheduled flights are available from OR Tambo International, Johannesburg to Phinda on certain days of the week. Daily flights also connect from Johannesburg to Durban (3-hour drive to Phinda) and Richards Bay (2-hour drive to Phinda) Airports. A light aircraft shuttle service is also available between Richards Bay and Phinda.
By road: From Johannesburg, it’s about a 6½-hour drive. Road transfers can be arranged.
Our Take on Phinda Homestead
It’s the perfect venue for a get together with family and friends. You have the whole place to yourself – with a butler, chef, dedicated guide and tracker. Everything is taken care of, so all you need to do is enjoy each other’s company and decide when you’d like your next game drive or outing. It’s a special place in spectacular surrounds.
- Accommodation and all meals, teas and coffees
- Refreshments on game drives
- Safari activities
- Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
- Exclusive use private open safari vehicle
- Own staff: butler, chef, experienced ranger and tracker
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- Champagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits, beers and cigars
- Telephone calls
- Adventures at Phinda
- Government bed levy, conservancy and/or park fees
- Landing fees
- Safari shop purchases
- Gratuities and all items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Ngala Tented Camp is a luxurious tented safari camp, with just six spacious tents featuring wooden decks. The chic and modern camp fuses effortlessly with the surrounding bush. Ngala is situated inside the Timbavati Game Reserve, sharing unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park, offering superb game viewing opportunities.
A unique safari itinerary taking in the highlights of a South Africa's exciting Kwazulu-Natal Province: spectacular scenery, the fascinating history of the British/Zulu/Boer wars, unforgettable Big 5 safaris at Phinda Game Reserve and ending at a pristine beach lodge with endless beaches, warm waters, incredible snorkelling and scuba diving as well as cultural visits to the local tribal villages. Scenery, history, culture, wildlife, sunny beaches - this trip has it all in spades.