Bateleur Safari Camp is situated in the game-rich Timbavati Private Reserve. All fences between its famous neighbour, Kruger National Park, have been removed so the game can freely roam across this vast wilderness area. It’s home to the Big 5, a huge variety of antelope and plains animals, predators, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and over 500 bird species on a 10,000-hectare diverse and scenic traversing area. Unhurried, uncrowded and unscheduled, Bateleur offers a unique, personalised safari experience, with a mix of game drives and bush walks.
- Set on a private, exclusive 3500-hectare property in the Timbavati
- Refreshingly uncrowded - you might not see many other vehicles during your stay
- Prolific and excellent game viewing, among the best in Greater Kruger
- Radio contact with other lodges alerts rangers to the most exciting wildlife sightings
- Walking safaris are possible and encouraged
- Tracking big game on foot
- Emphasis is on flexibility, the group’s likes and preferences
- A maximum of 16 guests gives you a private, exclusive safari
- Unique wildlife activities and bushcraft modules provide a rare safari experience
- Inviting pool and sunny deck overlooking riverbed
Simple, yet comfortable and exclusive, Bateleur Safari Camp is a budget-friendly tented safari camp that accommodates a maximum of 16 people. Renovated in June 2018, the camp has 7 beautiful safari tents under thatched roofs, 3 of which are family units that can accommodate up to 4 people. In one of the family units, a 5th person can be accommodated, allowing a family comprised of 2 adults and 3 children to share one unit.
The exclusive Timbavati Private Game Reserve was made famous by the discovery of its “White Lions” in the 70s and their stories were penned in Chris McBride’s well-known books.
Bateleur Safari Camp is situated deep in the Timbavati on a 3,500-hectare concession within a vast traversing area of 10,000 hectares, close to the unfenced boundary with Kruger.
The focus point of the safari camp is the inviting central area with its covered wooden deck overlooking the riverbed and its seasonal waterhole that attracts an array of 4-legged and feathered visitors.
An expansive wooden deck extends past the chemical-free swimming pool where you can cool off from the heat of the day without missing the wildlife and birdlife that frequent the riverbed and waterhole. Evening meals are enjoyed beneath the stars whenever possible. Food is freshly-prepared wholesome South African fare.
Unusual Game Activities
Twice daily game drives are offered in an open safari vehicle with a qualified guide and local tracker, using spotlights after dark to try and find the elusive, nocturnal species.
Depending on the guests' preferences, optional guided bush walks are offered (minimum age of 12) and require a reasonable level of fitness. Sometimes guests will choose to go out on a morning walk instead of a game drive. Other times, a walk can be combined with a game drive. At Bateleur, the activity program is flexible. There’s an emphasis on go-as-you-please and personal preferences so no two days are the same.
- Combination of game drives and guided walks, including the possibility of tracking big game like elephant and rhino on foot
- Bushcraft and survival skills taught by experienced locals
- Spider & scorpion module (if you’re brave enough!)
- Basic astronomy (if night skies are clear)
Activities available at an additional cost:
- Interactive reptile demonstration
- Tribal dancing
- Micro-chipping rhino excursions
By road: Driving from Johannesburg to the safari camp takes approx. 6.5 hours. Private and scheduled daily road transfers are available.
By air: Scheduled flights from OR Tambo International (Johannesburg) to Eastgate Airport in Hoedspruit take an hour, followed by an arranged transfer to the camp (POA). For private charters, Rockfig airstrip is available and landing and departure fees are waived for Bateleur Safari Camp guests.
Our Take on Bateleur Safari Camp
Bateleur Safari Camp is a rustic camp with understated luxury but without the frills of more upmarket camps. Small and exclusive, it has a relaxed atmosphere and the focus is on personal preferences. Guiding and game viewing is exceptional. Bateleur emphasises the real bush experience in every way: bushcraft, tracking, survival skills, walking safaris, interactive bush experiences. Perfect for couples, families and small groups looking for an interactive, authentic safari.
- Accommodation in spacious, en-suite safari units
- All meals, teas & coffees, soft drinks, juices, bottled water
- Twice daily game drives in open safari vehicle
- Optional, extended bush walks with armed rangers and trackers
- Bush craft & survival skills
- Spider & scorpion module
- Basic astronomy (weather permitting)
- Daily conservation levy (per person)
- Vehicle levy
- Alcohol beverages - locals beers and wines available
- All transfers to/from the camp
- Optional activities
- Items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Rhino Walking Safaris incorporates the luxurious Rhino Post Lodge and the beautiful tented Plains Camp, offering a unique safari experience within the Kruger National Park, tracking the Big 5 by foot and sleeping out under the stars. Any combination of multi-day walks, game drives and sleep-outs on raised wooden platforms can be arranged (weather permitting).
This flexible walking safari is ideally 3 or 4 days and offers a combination of guided bush walks and game drives, giving you greater flexibility to choose your preferred game viewing activity day by day, depending on your group's preferences. Our guided walking safaris take place within the Greater Kruger Park, possibly the greatest nature conservancy on Earth.