The Driftwood, Malindi Beach Resort
Privately owned, The Driftwood is near the historical town of Malinda, on the shores of Kenya’s tropical coast, with its own private beach lapped by the warm Indian Ocean. There’s a rich local history, excellent water sport, diving and snorkelling, excellent birding and, of course, plenty of time to relax and unwind.
* The Driftwood Beach Hotel Highlights
- ∞Superb windsurfing, kite-surfing and water skiing
- ∞Excellent bird watching
- ∞Notable area for its deep-sea fishing and big game fish
- ∞Unbeatable diving and snorkelling in tropical seas and coral reefs
- ∞Area is home to several species of dolphin and turtle
- ∞Choice of cottages and private villas
- ∞Rich local historical and cultural experiences
- ∞Within easy reach of scenic Watamu Beach
More about this accommodation
An ancient trading capital, Malindi is a fascinating mix of cultures, race, religions, tribes, languages and customs. From The Driftwood, it’s easy to explore these historical surrounds and browse the local traditional shops for curios, Swahili spices, traditional material and popular handmade jewellery and sandals.
Choice of Beach-Style Accommodation
At Driftwood, 70 guests can be accommodated in a choice of light and breezy coastal cottages and private villas. Each is placed for maximum privacy with its own en-suite facilities and small verandah. Nine cottages have a sea view while six overlook the tropical gardens near the swimming pool and the private beach. There’s a choice of doubles, twins and triples with extra beds and cots available for children sharing your room.
There are two superior cottages, set apart in a private walled garden with a shared swimming pool. Each has two large en-suite bedrooms, a living room and veranda overlooking the pool. These cottages offer extra privacy and are ideal for families and groups of friends looking for extra seclusion.
Lastly, there are three luxury private villas set in their own private premises directly behind the hotel. Each has two double air-conditioned, en-suite bedrooms and a spacious living room overlooking the private swimming pool. These villas are a few steps away from the main hotel and beach and make full use of the Driftwood facilities.
Range of Activities to Keep You Busy
The long-standing and friendly staff will assist and advise you on a range of things to do, see and visit within a stone's throw of the lodge:
- Open-air bar and dining area a few feet away from the pool, private beach and warm Indian Ocean
- Driftwood is renowned for its excellent cuisine and outstanding seafood, like red snapper, prawns, lobster and oysters from nearby Kilifi
- Terrific windsurfing, kite-surfing and water skiing on Mida Creek
- Excellent local bird watching in the Sabaki Delta and the fascinating Arabuko-Sokoke forest with its unique endemic species: the Sokoke Scops Owl, Sokoke Pipit, Amanu Sunbird, Clark's Weaver, East Coast Akalat and Spotted Ground Thrush
- Explore the many historical sites that include the Gedi ruins and Malindi old town
- Enjoy local flavour in Malindi’s many eateries and coffee shops
- Internationally recognised for its sailfish and broadbill fishing, Malindi’s deep waters are home to three species of marlin: black, blue and striped (season is from July to early April)
- Overnight trips to the North Kenya Banks for broadbill, marlin, 'big tuna' and shark deep-sea fishing
- A short walk along the beach takes you to the Malindi Marine Park, home to some of East Africa's finest lagoons, coral gardens and sea-grass beds; home to several species of dolphin and turtle
- Relax poolside or enjoy some pampering in the treatment room right next to the Ocean
- Perfect for families: private beach, toddlers’ swimming pool and a range of child-friendly activities
There are daily flights from Nairobi to Malindi Airport, flying time is just over an hour. Malindi is about 193 km (120 miles) north of Mombasa. Driving time from Nairobi would be about 7 ½ hours and from Mombasa it’s about 1 hr 40 minutes.
Our Take on The Driftwood
A perennial favourite, The Driftwood is excellent value-for-money and offers superb hosting, service and accommodation for the price. It’s situated in one of the most popular Kenyan coastal areas and offers plenty to do for every taste and age. Great for families who, once they’ve visited, seem to return year upon year upon year.
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.