Phinda Homestead, KwaZulu-Natal Safari Lodge
Closed due to fire damage. Will be rebuilt in 2017.
This luxurious, sole-use safari villa is perfect for families, corporates and small groups who wish to spend some quality time away from it all and enjoy each other’s uninterrupted company. You’ll be spoilt with your own dedicated ranger/host, tracker, butler and chef. You’ll also have a private open safari vehicle at your disposal to enjoy looking for the Big 5 and a wide variety of birds and wildlife.
* Phinda Homestead Highlights
- ∞Private-use luxury safari villa, perfect for family and friends
- ∞Private game drives with your own ranger and tracker in open 4WD vehicles
- ∞Home to Big 5 and a wide variety of wildlife and birds
- ∞Go-as–you-please daily itineraries
- ∞7 distinct habitats provide incredibly diverse scenery, fauna and flora
- ∞Good chance to see cheetah, black rhino and nyala
- ∞Variety of adventure activities nearby
- ∞23 000 hectare (56 800 acre) private game reserve with limited number of vehicles
- ∞Named as Expensive Places Editor’s Choice luxury safari villa of summer 2014
More about this accommodation
Luxurious but also unpretentious and inviting, Phinda Homestead is an ideal venue within the Phinda Private Game Reserve to enjoy time away from it all with your family and friends.
Phinda Homestead is designed to give small groups of families and friends an ideal space to reconnect. There are only four bedrooms, accommodating a maximum of eight people. The villa is spacious and airy; there are generous courtyards and living areas that open up to the surrounding bush veld. Large windows flood the house with light and all beds are positioned to give you a great view from the moment you wake.
The roomy viewing decks give you uninterrupted views over your surrounds. There’s an inviting pool surrounded by comfy loungers. There’s also a small, well-equipped gym – with views, of course. And meals you can enjoy in the dining area or under the stars, lit by romantic lanterns in your own private outdoor boma.
At Phinda Homestead, you’ll have your own ranger and host, a dedicated tracker who’ll accompany your party on game drives; your own chef who’ll prepare delicious meals and a butler to take care of your every need.
Excellent Game Viewing
With your own dedicated vehicle, guide and tracker, you can set off for game drives as and when you want to. Phinda Game Reserve offers all the Big 5 and you’ll have a good chance of spotting cheetah, lion and leopard, as well as black and white rhino. There are also majestic nyala antelope in abundance. In the northern reaches of the park, you may be lucky enough to see some very rare species like the shy red duiker and the tiny suni. The chef can also prepare you a picnic lunch if you want to make a day of it.
Variety of Activities
Some nearby activities include:
- Mzinene River Boat Cruises
- A Night Under the Skies
- Maputaland Beach Adventure
- Indian Ocean Scuba Safari
- Black Rhino Tracking on Foot
- Turtle Nesting Adventure (Seasonal – between November - February)
- Endangered Wild Cats Project
- Swimming with Whale Sharks
Phinda enjoys a subtropical climate. Summers are traditionally hot, wet and humid and last from September to April with day temperatures sometimes soaring above 35° C (95° F). Winters are mild and dry winters, rarely below 10° C (50° F), even at night. Game viewing is traditionally best from March until the end of September.
By air: Definitely the easiest way to get there. Direct scheduled flights are available from OR Tambo International, Johannesburg to Phinda on certain days of the week. Daily flights also connect from Johannesburg to Durban (3-hour drive to Phinda) and Richards Bay (2-hour drive to Phinda) Airports. A light aircraft shuttle service is also available between Richards Bay and Phinda.
By road: From Johanneburg, it’s about a 6½-hour drive. Road transfers can be arranged.
Our Take on Phinda Homestead
It’s the perfect venue for a get together with family and friends. You have the whole place to yourself – with a butler, chef, dedicated guide and tracker. Everything is taken care of, so all you need to do is enjoy each other’s company and decide when you’d like your next game drive or outing. It’s a special place in spectacular surrounds.
- ∞Accommodation and all meals, teas and coffees
- ∞Refreshments on game drives
- ∞Safari activities
- ∞Soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beers
- ∞Exclusive use private open safari vehicle
- ∞Own staff: butler, chef, experienced ranger and tracker
- ∞Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- ∞Transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- xChampagne, cognacs, fine wines, premium brand spirits, beers and cigars
- xTelephone calls
- xAdventures at Phinda
- xGovernment bed levy, conservancy and/or park fees
- xLanding fees
- xSafari shop purchases
- xGratuities and all items of a personal nature
ø 2017 Honeymoon Special at Leading Lodge Group
Honeymoon special: Bride stays half-price until end 2017.
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.