Lion Sands Tinga Lodge Safari Lodge
Just 5 minutes away from Kruger’s Sukuza Airport, Tinga Lodge is located on the banks of the scenic Sabie River, in an area offering an incredible variety and diversity of wildlife. Exclusive and luxurious, Tinga offers you the unique opportunity of off-road safaris to get the best game viewing possible.
* Lion Sands Tinga Lodge Highlights
- ∞Private concession within Big 5 game-rich area in Kruger National Park
- ∞Highest population of black rhino in South Africa
- ∞Open vehicle safaris with a maximum of 6 per vehicle, with off-road permission
- ∞Guided bush walks
- ∞5,000 hectare (12,500 acre) private traversing area as well as within Kruger Park itself
- ∞Only private reserve with access to both Sabie and Sand Rivers
- ∞Only 9 private and exclusive luxury suites overlooking the Sabie River
- ∞Free WiFi in public areas
- ∞Full spa treatments with private in-room options available
More about this accommodation
Not weather dependent, nor with any migrations to follow, Tinga is a year-round safari destination – although the dry winter months (June to October) usually offer the best game viewing opportunities. For birders, the best time to visit is from October to April when the birdlife is most prolific.
Exclusive, private safari comfort
Tinga has only nine luxurious, air-conditioned suites (maximum of 22 guests), each located in a secluded, private spot overlooking the river. Every suite is en-suite with an indoor and outdoor shower, separate lounge area with minibar and its own private plunge pool and viewing deck. Children over 10 are welcome at the lodge.
A newly-renovated (August 2017), two-bedroomed family suite is now available (children over 6 are welcome). This suite is exclusive and self-contained, sleeps four and comes with its own safari vehicle, private pool and nature guide. Everything is child-friendly.There are no raised walkways and there is uninterrupted fencing around the suite.
Luxurious main camp
The main camp is spacious with double volume rooms opening onto a wooden viewing deck with a public swimming pool. There’s a roaring fire in winter months to keep you warm. The chefs are superb and the food is great – they will gladly cater to whatever your dietary preferences.
Varied game viewing activities
There’s always plenty to keep you busy at Tinga: morning and afternoon/evening game drives in open safari vehicles (which are permitted off-road to get really close to excellent game sightings), guided bush walks, bird watching, astronomy, bush breakfasts, bush dinners, river walks, hippo tours, safari lunches, wildlife lectures, treehouses, boma dinners, wellness treatments, local village experiences. Just let the staff know your preferences and they’ll do their utmost to grant your every wish.
By air: there are daily scheduled flights between Cape Town/Johannesburg and Skukuza Airport. Private charters are also available directly into Lion Sands reserve.
By road: it’s an easy 5-hour drive from Johannesburg. Road transfers can easily be arranged.
Our take on Tinga
As part of the MORE Group, you can expect top-notch service, comfort, food and hospitality at any of their lodges and Tinga is no exception.
- ∞Luxury Accommodation on a full board basis
- ∞Teas/Coffees, soft drinks, local-brand beers and spirits & house wines
- ∞Two game drives daily with FGASA qualified ranger & tracker
- ∞Game drive refreshments & snacks
- ∞Specified inclusive safari activities
- ∞Transfers to Skukuza airport
- ∞Conservation fees
- xMini bar in room
- xPremium-brand beers, spirits, cellar wines & champagnes
- xCigars & cigarettes
- xAll flights and transfers
- xTelephone calls
- xCurio shop purchases
- xSpa treatments
- xSabi Sand Reserve/ Kruger National Park entrance fees
- xAny items of a personal nature
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.