Opened in July 2018, Splash Camp offers a relaxed, intimate and friendly safari. Its excellent location offers a range of conditions: permanent and seasonal floodplains as well as extensive dry periods. In high-water season, there are labyrinths of water channels and secret islands to explore. It's said to be one of the best locations in Botswana for both game viewing and activities.
- Brand-new Luxury Camp in a prime location in Okavango Delta
- Great seasonal variety: permanent/seasonal waters and dry periods
- In the heart of the Delta in the Private Kwara Reserve
- Game drives, mokoro trips, boat cruises, fishing, walking safaris
- Off-road and after-dark game drives for predator spotting
- Guide & tracker team to accompany you
- 2 Family rooms
- Max 6 per game vehicle ensures you a window seat
Kwando Splash is located within the magnificent Kwara Private Reserve which spans an area of 175 000 ha (432 000 acres) and shares a 30 km water boundary with Moremi Game Reserve.
Splash comprises 10 en-suite tents, 2 of which are family units, as well as 2 tents for guides/tour leaders. Each unit also has an indoor and outdoor shower and a private veranda with lounge chairs to relax and enjoy the magnificent views.
All units overlook a pan which attracts wildlife visitors throughout the year.
Within Splash and part of the camp itself is Splash Enclave - intended for exclusive-use groups of 6-10 friends or families sharing. There will be no age restriction here (minimum age is six at main Splash Camp). Its satellite Main Area will have a plunge pool, dining area, lounge and bar,
Spoilt For Choice With Game Activities
On game drives, you'll have a guide and a tracker - two sets of expert eyes searching for tracks and movement – which ups your chances of great sightings, especially predators. Only six per vehicle ensures you a window seat. Splash is in a private concession so vehicles are allowed to drive off-road as well as at night with spotlights to see the fascinating, lesser-spotted nocturnal mammals.
Mokoro trips with a poler are one of the most relaxing experiences you'll have. During the green season, guided bush walks are also on offer, depending on the weather.
Fishing is also allowed for 10 months of the year (prohibited in breeding season: Jan - Feb). Basic equipment is supplied, but avid fly-fishers are advised to bring their own equipment.
Boats are available at Splash, a perfect way to explore the waterways and get a great view of what is going on at the water’s edge and beyond. From August to December, you'll also offer visits to the nearby heronries currently located in Godikwe and Gcobega lagoons. The number of birds fluctuates from year to year, depending on local conditions, but is a very worthwhile experience for birders.
Because of its remoteness, Splash is only accessible by light aircraft to Kwara airstrip, which is a 30-minute flight from Maun. From there, it's a short transfer to the lodge.
Our Take on Splash
It's already getting great reviews from guests we've recommended there. It's fresh, new and part of the excellent Kwando portfolio so you can expect the highest levels of service, hospitality, guiding, cuisine and all the necessary ingredients for an unforgettable safari.
Splash is ideally combined with some other Kwando lodges to give you a first-hand experience of the many varied areas and biomes of Botswana and the different opportunities for game viewing. Please feel free to ask us for more options.
- Accommodation with all meals and beverages, including premier brands (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)
- All game viewing activities.
- Daily laundry.
- Emergency medical evacuation cover (all guests must have their own travel and health insurance).
- Meet & greet in and out of Maun airport when being transferred with Moremi Air, by a Kwando Safaris and/or Moremi Air representative
- Flights & transfers
- Items of a personal nature