Bateleur Camp - Timbavati Safari Lodge
Bateleur Camp is situated in the game-rich Timbavati Private Reserve. All fences between its famous neighbour, Kruger National Park, have been removed so the game can freely roam across this vast wilderness area. It’s home to the Big 5, a huge variety of antelope and plains animals, predators, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and over 500 bird species on a 10,000-hectare diverse and scenic traversing area. Unhurried, uncrowded and unscheduled, Bateleur offers a unique, personalised safari experience.
* Bateleur Camp, Timbavati Highlights
- ∞Set on a private, exclusive 3500-hectare property in the Timbavati
- ∞Refreshingly uncrowded - it's possible not to see any other vehicles during your stay
- ∞Prolific and excellent game viewing, arguably one of the best in Greater Kruger
- ∞Radio contact with other lodges alerts with the most exciting wildlife sightings
- ∞Emphasis is on flexibility, the group’s likes and preferences
- ∞A maximum of 16 guests gives you a private, exclusive safari
- ∞Unique wildlife activities and bushcraft provide a rare safari experience
- ∞Inviting pool and sunny deck overlooking riverbed
More about this accommodation
Recently renovated (June 2018).
Simple, yet comfortable and exclusive, Bateleur Camp accommodates a maximum of 16 people. There are 7 accommodation units with thatched roofs, 3 of which are family units that can accommodate up to 4 people. In at least one of the family units, a 5th person can be accommodated, allowing families comprised of 2 adults and 3 children to share.
The exclusive Timbavati Private Game Reserve was made famous by the discovery of its “White Lions” in the 70s and their stories were penned in Chris McBride’s well-known books.
Bateleur Camp is situated deep in the Timbavati on a 3,500-hectare concession within a vast traversing area of 10,000 hectares.
The focus point of the camp is the inviting central area with its covered wooden deck overlooking the riverbed and its seasonal waterhole that attracts an array of 4-legged and feathered visitors.
An expansive wooden deck extends past the chemical-free swimming pool where you can cool off from the heat of the day without missing the wildlife and birdlife that frequent the waterhole. Evening meals are enjoyed beneath the stars whenever possible. Food is freshly-prepared wholesome South African fare.
Unusual Game Activities
Twice daily game drives are offered in an open safari vehicle with a qualified guide and local tracker, using spotlights after dark to try and find the elusive, nocturnal species.
Depending on the guests' preferences, optional bush walks are offered (minimum age of 12) and require a reasonable level of fitness. At Bateleur, the activity programme is flexible. There’s an emphasis on go-as-you-please and personal preferences so no two days are similar.
- Combination of game drives and guided walks, including the possibility of tracking big game like elephant and rhino on foot
- Bushcraft and survival skills
- Spider & scorpion module (if you’re brave enough!)
- Basic astronomy (if night skies are clear)
Activities available at an additional cost:
- Interactive reptile demonstration
- Tribal dancing
- Micro-chipping rhino excursions
By road: Driving from Johannesburg to the camp takes approx. 6.5 hours. Private and scheduled daily road transfers are available.
By air: Scheduled flights from OR Tambo International (Johannesburg) to Eastgate Airport in Hoedspruit take an hour, followed by an arranged transfer to the camp (POA). For private charters, Rockfig airstrip is available and landing and departure fees are waived for Bateleur Camp guests.
Our Take on Bateleur Camp
Bateleur Camp is a rustic camp with understated luxury but without the frills of more upmarket camps. Small and exclusive, it has a relaxed atmosphere and the focus is on personal preferences. The guiding and game viewing is exceptional. Bateleur emphasises the real bush experience in every way: bushcraft, tracking, survival skills, interactive bush experiences. Perfect for couples, families and small groups looking for an interactive, authentic safari.
- ∞Accommodation in spacious, en-suite safari units
- ∞All meals, teas & coffees, soft drinks, juices, bottled water
- ∞Twice daily game drives in open safari vehicle
- ∞Optional, extended bush walks with armed rangers and trackers
- ∞Bush craft & survival skills
- ∞Spider & scorpion module
- ∞Basic astronomy (weather permitting)
- xDaily conservation levy (per person)
- xVehicle levy
- xAlcohol beverages - locals beers and wines available
- xAll transfers to/from the camp
- xOptional activities
- xItems of a personal nature
ø Stay 3, Pay 2 Special at Top Timbavati Lodge
Stay 3, Pay 2 special until 31 December 2019
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.