Situated in the Klaserie Private Game Reserve, Baobab Ridge is a small, intimate safari lodge overlooking an active waterhole. Klaserie shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park and its neighbours and game viewing is often superb, with a good chance of seeing the famed white lions of Timbavati.
- Only 7 cottages, sleeping a maximum of 16 people
- Intimate Safari Lodge with cottages well spaced for absolute privacy
- Great game viewing area sharing unfenced borders with Kruger Park and neighbouring reserves
- Remote and uncrowded, often feel as you have the whole reserve to yourself
- Huge traversing area - approximately 7,000 km
- Two daily game drives included
- Bush walks available at additional cost, advance booking required.
- Possibility to participate in Rhino conservation events (winter only) at an additional cost
- Inviting pool, overlooking an active waterhole
This intimate, owner-run private lodge in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve offers you luxury, comfortable and affordable wilderness experience. Only 16 guests can be accommodated in cottages: 6 standard luxury cottages and one family cottage. Tranquil and far from the madding crowds, Baobab Ridge can also be booked exclusively, providing the perfect backdrop to unforgettable family occasions, reunions and so on.
Private, Peaceful Cottages
All cottages are on raised wooden decks with private patios and outdoor seating areas perfect for watching passing wildlife. Each cottage is en suite with a full bathroom including a shower and bath and a lounge. However, the family cottage has two bedrooms and two bathrooms with showers only.
Comfortable Main Lodge
There's a spacious lounge with satellite TV, free WiFi, bar, guest bathrooms, dining room and beautifully-equipped kitchen, outdoor lookout terraces and a swimming pool overlooking a small but active waterhole.
At nights, a sumptuous dinner is generally served in the spacious Boma with a crackling fire and gentle lanterns (weather permitting).
The lodge is wheelchair friendly and surrounded by an electric fence to ensure the safety of guests and their children.
Game Viewing Activities
Guests have access to two daily game drives included in the rates. Game rangers here are knowledgeable and passionate about what they do. Klaserie is known for its conservation efforts and it shows in the guiding. There is an extensive traversing area and guides are in radio contact to advise about sightings so you have very good chances of great game viewing opportunities. Vehicles are allowed off road to get you closer to sightings. All game drives are in open safari vehicles.
Bush walks are subject to availability and must be booked in advance. These last around 3 hours so a reasonable level of fitness and stamina is required. Only those 16 years and older may participate and there is an additional cost.
Rhino encounters are possible to join in the winter months. This involves darting, collecting DNA and samples, microchipping and so on. It's a great way to contribute to and get involved with the conservation and management of these highly threatened creatures.
By road: It's about a 6-hour drive from Johannesburg International and 3 hours from Nelspruit Airport (KMIA). Road transfers are available.
By air: The closest airport is Hoedspruit's Eastgate airport, from where it is a 30-minute drive to the lodge. Scheduled and chartered flights are available.
Our Take on Baobab Ridge
Baobab Ridge offers a small, intimate safari experience in a wonderfully uncrowded, game rewarding area of Greater Kruger. They have extensive traversing rights so you should get to see a diverse range of animals and habitat. Owner-run lodges stand out and Baobab Ridge is no exception. The owners have an extensive and excellent history in the local safari industry. You'll be in great hands.
- Accommodation in twin or double bed cottage (en suite bathroom, private lounge and terrace)
- All meals, snacks, teas/coffees, soft drinks, local brand beers and house wines
- Two game drives a day in open 4x4 vehicles with licensed guides
- Reserve entrance gate fees
- Klaserie conservation levy (payable in cash at the lodge on arrival)
- Spirits, premium-branded wines, imported beers, champagne, cognac
- Walking safaris
- Items of a personal nature
You may also want to look at
Perched comfortably on the banks of a perennial river, Kambaku River Sands is a luxurious but affordable safari destination in Timbavati Private Game Reserve. The camp is unfenced and shares unfenced borders with Kruger National Park, so wildlife - large and small - are free to roam through the camp and the reserve as a whole.
A guided safari in the Kruger Park (using the national park camps) is quite different to a safari at a private game lodge. Both have their advantages. This trip idea combines two nights in Kruger, followed by two nights at a private game lodge for you to experience the best of both worlds. All game drives in open vehicles with expert and knowledgeable guides.