Budget Kruger Park Safari - 4 Days Ÿ Can be customised
The 4-day Budget Kruger National Park safari is easy on your budget, and big on game viewing. This is a guided safari in Kruger National Park itself with scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit. If the scheduled dates don't suit you, we may be able to put together a custom departure for your group. Book early to avoid disappointment!
* Budget Kruger Park Safari - 4 Days Highlights
- ∞ Regular scheduled departures from Johannesburg or Nelspruit
- ∞ Easy on your budget
- ∞ Open vehicle game drives in Kruger National Park
- ∞ Big 5 game viewing in the best wildlife areas
- ∞ Small groups
- ∞ Experienced safari guide
- ∞ Air-conditioned bungalow accommodation (no camping)
We depart at 08h30 from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg or any of the surrounding airport hotels. A scenic 5-hour drive brings us to the entrance of the Kruger National Park. Here we change vehicles from our luxury air-conditioned minibus and continue the trip in an open safari vehicle, perfect for game viewing, which starts immediately on entering Kruger National Park. We slowly make our way to the rest camp, looking for wildlife as we go. Some of the more common animals you can expect to see on the first afternoon include impala, kudu, waterbuck, warthog, zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, elephant, hippo, baboon, monkey and, hopefully, rhino and buffalo. We also hope to see lion and possibly an elusive leopard or cheetah. We arrive at our camp by sunset and check in. We mostly use bungalows for accommodation, with en-suite bathroom and air conditioning. Dinner will be prepared by your guide and may take the form of a traditional South African braai (barbecue), weather permitting. Alternatively, we may use the camp restaurant.
Day 2 and 3:
We rise early so we can be on the road as the sun rises. This is the best time of day for game viewing as the animals are at their most active, and we are on the lookout for nocturnal animals like spotted hyenas returning to their dens for the day. On our drives we may stop at waterholes, view points or picnic sites, where you can get out and stretch your legs, and enjoy some refreshments. Breakfast is usually a mid-morning feast, enjoyed at a picnic site somewhere in the bush. There is no fixed schedule to keep, but usually we return to camp late morning, so you can spend the noon hours lazing around the pool or watching animals from the deck. An afternoon siesta is also a popular option. Lunch is for your own account and you can purchase a light meal from the take away deli at the camp. There is also a curio shop with basic supplies in the camp.
In the afternoon we embark on another exciting game drive. As the day cools down, the animals become more active again and game viewing becomes easier. We look for the Big 5 and all the other animals, birds and interesting plants we may find. The excitement of a game drive is that you never know what you will find, and each one is different. Perhaps we saw giraffe yesterday, but today we may see them drinking, or fighting, or eating from a nasty thorn tree without injuring themselves! Your guide will be able to interpret the behaviour of the animals and share interesting stories and facts about the bush, which makes every drive that much more interesting.
We return to camp around sunset and enjoy another delicious dinner around the fire or in the camp restaurant. As an optional extra, you can book a night drive with us in advance on one of the evenings. These are conducted on an open game viewing truck by one of the Kruger Park's rangers.
This morning we head out on a final early morning game drive. If we are lucky we may see wild dogs or another rare animal that we have not seen before. After breakfast, it is time to pack up and start heading back toward the gate, where we swop over to our air-conditioned minibus for the drive back to Johannesburg. We normally arrive back in Johannesburg between 4 pm and 5 pm, depending on the traffic.
- If you have the time, we'd strongly recommend this 4-day Budget Kruger Park Safari over the 3-day Quickie Kruger Park Safari. The extra day means you get two full days' game viewing, covering a bigger area of the park. The 3-day Quickie Safari only offers you one full day's game viewing, plus one afternoon drive on the first day and one morning game drive on the last day.
- Please Book Early! Short notice availability on all our Kruger National Park safaris is very limited.
- It's good to compare different safaris and their prices - there are lots of options out there. But cheaper is not always better. Avoid disappointment by first reading our informative Guide to Comparing Safaris (opens in a new window).
Quick links to other popular Kruger Park Safaris:
- This trip is priced from
- R9200.00 $689.00 £529.00 €616.00
- Full Pricing Info
- See Departure Dates
- ∞ Return transfers from Johannesburg or Nelspruit
- ∞ Kruger National Park entrance fees and conservation fees
- ∞ Three nights' accommodation
- ∞ Breakfast and dinner daily
- ∞ All game drives on open safari vehicle in Kruger National Park
- xPersonal travel insurance
- xPersonal expenses
- xOptional extras
- xThere are no hidden costs
Scheduled Tour Departures
This trip departs and ends at Johannesburg on the following dates. If you know which dates suit you, go ahead and make a selection below. If none of these dates suit you, please do contact us to request a custom departure on the date of your choice, subject to availability.