Ngorongoro Farm House Guest Farm
With easy access to the spectacular scenery and abundant wildlife of Ngorongoro Crater, the Ngorongoro Farm House has cottages spread out through beautiful gardens and a coffee plantation in the Karatu area. It’s a working farm with an organic garden. Expect fresh, delicious food and the tantalising aroma of the farm’s own coffee beans – grown, picked, roasted, ground and enjoyed right there.
* Ngorongoro Farm House Highlights
- ∞5 km from the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, ensuring easy access to this natural wonder
- ∞Spectacular game viewing in the world-renowned Ngorongoro Crater
- ∞Working farm – coffee, vegetables, cows, pigs and sheep
- ∞Cottages designed in farmhouse-style, for a genuine ‘Farm in Africa’ experience
- ∞Maasai walks: an opportunity to meet and learn the culture and traditions of the local people
- ∞Wonderful, deep swimming pool for cooling off after a day in Ngorongoro
- ∞Freshly roasted and ground coffee, at the source!
- ∞Nature walks around the farm
More about this accommodation
While the Ngorongoro Farm House has 52 cottages, they are spread out amongst the garden and trees, allowing one to still have a sense of privacy. The view across the farm to Oldeani Volcano is spectacular. There are 49 standard rooms and three suite rooms, all designed in a style reminiscent of the colonial farming times, with high wood-beamed ceilings and polished concrete floors.
Standard rooms can be twin, triple or double (king-sized beds), and six of them interconnect for families. The three suite rooms all have king-sized beds. Each cottage has a private veranda, mosquito nets and en-suite bathroom with shower.
Main Lodge Area
The main house is a beautiful, thatched single-story house with a gift shop, lounge, restaurant and a huge deck offering spectacular views across the farm to Oldeani Volcano. Bare brick fireplaces with crackling fires keep the chill of the highlands away on colder days.
Meals are lovingly made using fresh produce from the garden and farm as far as possible and are served in the restaurant, on the deck or next to the pool.
Both a bar and a coffee bar (providing delicious aromas) are also in the main house. Sip on a cocktail or an aromatic cappuccino on the deck as the sun sets over Africa.
Game Viewing Activities
The most renowned game viewing is done in the nearby Ngorongoro Crater, where it is estimated that 25 000 big animals live in a relatively small 260 km² that is the caldera’s ‘bowl’. A day trip to the crater will almost certainly reward you with sightings of the Big Five, including the highly-endangered black rhino, and a large number of different antelope, monkeys, hippos, crocs, zebra and more!
Vehicles are only allowed into the crater during the day, so an early start is recommended. Ngorongoro Farm House do not offer trips to Ngorongoro, as most people travel with their own car and guides, but they can connect you with local guides.
Things to Do In and Around Ngorongoro Farm House
- Visit nearby Ngorongoro Crater with its teeming wildlife
- Spectacular walks both in and out of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Drink coffee, at its source!
- Guided treks in the area – number of days and difficulty to suit all fitness levels
- Nature walks around the farm
- Maasai walks – introduction to the culture, customs and traditional use of indigenous plants
- Enjoy a half- or full-body massage
- Cool off in the pool after a hot day in the African sun
By car: Ngorongoro Farm House is about 190 km from Arusha by tarred road. The trip generally takes between two and three hours.
By air: There are daily scheduled flights from Arusha to Lake Manyara Airstrip, and chartered flights to Ngorongoro Airstrip. Arusha is served by two airports: domestic Arusha Airport has daily flights and Kilimanjaro International Airport.
Our Take on Ngorongoro Farm House
Experience life on a working Tanzanian farm with beautiful views. Close enough to Ngorongoro to make visiting the crater easy, but just out of Ngorongoro Conservation Area, making it slightly more budget-friendly than the accommodation on the rim. Fresh produce from the gardens and coffee from the plantation are an added bonus.
- ∞Accommodation and all meals
- ∞Mineral water
- ∞Tea & Coffee
- ∞Afternoon Coffee walk
- ∞Happy Hour/Sundowner cocktail and finger food from 6 to 7 pm.
- ∞US$ 0.5 contribution per guest to Emusoi Center educational project for Masaai women
- ∞Bed night fee
- xSoft drinks, beer & house wine (included in Suites accommodation)
- xItems of a personal nature
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.