Berluda Farmhouse & Cottages Guest Farm
Situated in the beautiful Schoemanshoek Valley in the Little Karoo, Berluda Farmhouse & Cottages is in the heart of ostrich country. It's close to the attractions of Oudtshoorn and the spectacular Cango Caves. With 7 beautifully decorated suites and 8 self-catering cottages,swimming pools and air conditioning, this family-run farm is the perfect spot to stay. Tours of the family's working ostrich farm, hiking, biking, abseiling and 4X4-ing are just some of the activities offered on, or near, Berluda.
* Berluda Farmhouse & Cottages Highlights
- ∞Spectacular views over the Schoemanshoek Valley
- ∞Choice of beautifully furnished suites and self-catering cottages
- ∞Perfectly private Honeymoon Suite
- ∞Tranquil gardens filled with birds and two swimming pools
- ∞Tours of the family's private working ostrich farm on offer
- ∞Close to spectacular Cango Caves
- ∞Canoeing, fishing, stargazing, hiking, biking and abseiling offered in the area
- ∞Scrumptious, home-cooked breakfasts
- ∞Meerkat safaris offered nearby
More about this accommodation
The Berluda Farmhouse, home to the Schoeman family for over fifty years, is a typical Karoo farmhouse with wooden floors, plenty of character and lots of antiques. It’s located in the semi-arid Little Karoo, just north of the Garden Route, in the heart of ostrich country and is family-run, with emphasis on good hospitality.
The Farmhouse has seven en-suite rooms and a beautifully decorated lounge and reading room, with DSTV and air-conditioning. A patio overlooking the lush gardens offers the perfect spot to read a book, or just sit and listen to the birds in the serenity of the Karoo.
The seven rooms in the main house – each named after a member of the Schoeman family – all offer en-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning and WiFi access. Some have King- or Queen-sized beds and others offer twin beds. Breakfast is included.
Eight cottages offer private, self-catering accommodation for between two and five people. All are fully-equipped with air conditioning, WiFi and patios with braai facilities and beautiful views over the Schoemanshoek Valley or mountains.
Some of the cottages are suitable for families, others are are not suitable for children under 12-years old. A luxury garden cottage, especially for honeymooners, offers a perfectly private, spacious suite which has a fireplace, kitchen and patio with braai facilities overlooking the gardens and mountains.
The old tobacco barn was converted into a cosy dining room in 2007, where dinner and breakfast may be served, depending on the season. Expect farm-fresh produce and granny’s recipes. The breakfasts at Berluda are well-known for their deliciousness!
Should meals not be on offer, staff are more than happy to recommend and book one of the excellent restaurants in the area.
Local Area Attractions
- On the farm: two swimming pools for cooling off, a children’s playground and plenty of places to cycle or walk in the hills
- Berluda is situated between Oudtshoorn and the world-famous Cango Caves
- Within easy reach of hiking, cycling, quad biking and 4x4 trails
- Horse riding, abseiling and canoeing is offered nearby
- For self-drive tourists, the area offers plenty of scenic views and drives, including the Swartberg Mountain Pass, Meiringspoort Valley and Waterfall, and Rust-en-Vrede Waterfall.
Farm tours of Buffelsdrift, a private working ostrich farm, can also be organised. Learn about these fantastical-looking birds, watch babies hatch (if you’re in the right season) and feel the weight of an ostrich egg. This is an animal-friendly tour – there is no ostrich-riding.
By road: Oudtshoorn is 60 km north of George on the Garden Route, and can be reached via a number of scenic routes. From Cape Town, it’s approximately a 5-hour drive, depending which route you take (they’re all beautiful, scenic drives). From Port Elizabeth, along the spectacular Garden Route, it’ll take about 5 hours (386 km). The roads are all tarred.
By air: Daily flights are offered to George from both Johannesburg (2 hours) and Cape Town (1 hour). From George, it is a pretty 60 km drive to Oudtshoorn.
Our take on Berluda Farmhouse & Lodge
The perfect spot to experience true Karoo hospitality in an area that offers numerous activities. Whether you’re travelling alone, or as a family, they’ve got something that’ll suit you - in beautiful, relaxed surroundings.
- ∞Accommodation as selected
- ∞Breakfast for luxury double/twin rooms
- xItems of a personal nature
s Other Accommodations to Compare With
= Star Rating Explanation
The star rating refers to the official grading given to this lodge or hotel by the Tourism Grading Council. In some cases the star rating is not official, but represents our own estimate of the accommodation.
One star means very basic accommodation
Two stars means comfortable, clean accommodation that is not overly spacious or luxurious. Basic facilities.
Three stars means good quality accommodation with en-suite bathroom and a reasonable level of luxury. Very comfortable and reasonably spacious.
Four stars means luxury accommodation of high quality, with most modern conveniences. High quality service, food and facilities.
Five stars means spacious, ultra luxury accommodation with the highest standards of service, food and facilities. All modern conveniences can be expected, although some facilities like air-conditioning cannot be guaranteed at all 5-star lodges, due to limited availability of electricity.